Sunday, October 19, 2008

Garden for a day

Last Saturday, then several hours yesterday we worked on planting a small garden in our back yard. We had a great time as a family and really enjoyed all of the hard work.
We planted lettuce and peas. We were planning on planting carrots later in the week when we could get more soil.
Here are a few pictures of our fun time yesterday.


We realized that planting a garden wasn't really the cheapest thing, but we wanted to have this be something fun & rewarding we could do as a family. We found much satisfaction in working so hard. Ethan asked many times when he would get to see his "teeny tiny plants". So we were also excited about the teaching opportunity.

I realized on the way home from church today, that I forgot to water the garden before we left. So as soon as we got home Ethan ran to the back yard to help me water. I hadn't made it outside when Ethan came running into the house saying our Garden had an accident. We went outside and this is what we found.....



Dave thinks he hit a hose of some sort, when breaking up the dirt. We only dug about 4-6 inches then added several inches of topsoil. We think when the sprinklers came on it must have turned into a fountain. The entire area is soaked. There is a giant hole in the middle of our garden. Dave and I walked out there, and we both sunk at least 6 inches. So now we need to repair the hose, and let the area dry out. I am sure we will need to re-plant the seeds.
Oh well, as Ethan said...."At least we had our garden for a day!!"

2 comments:

Holly said...

So sad! But what a great attitude.

Lani said...

Oh no! :-(

Ethan's so cute!