So for those of you have listened to my complaining about my naughty boy... today was actually a good day!!
For those of you who haven't listened to my sad tale... I will make it brief. Ethan has been getting in trouble at school nearly every day for the past two weeks. It just isn't like him, and I have been beside myself trying to figure out the problem as well as the solution. Last week we even decided to cancel his birthday party to show him we were serious about being good. (Yes we did warn him several times before doing it.) I was so upset on Saturday because I feel like the Lord has blessed me with this ONE child, and I feel like I must be messing him up big time. I want to be a good mom to him, I can be patient with my preschoolers, and primary kids, why can't I be better with my own child.
I spent most of the weekend in prayer, as I realized that I had to turn this over to the Lord. He knows Ethan best, and knows what he needs. I prayed that he would let Dave and I know how to best deal with him. After our regular morning Book of Mormon reading we talked in great detail about how we excepted him to behave today. (We have done many many many times) It was amazing how the spirit was with us as we talked as a family. I spent all day worrying about how he would do. When I picked Ethan up from the bus today I said "I have a question for you Ethan..." Before I even got the question out of my mouth, he replied in his very excited Ethan voice, "I was on Green today mom!! I even did all of my sentences." I was so happy for him. We came home and Dave and I praised him for quite a while.
Several minutes later as Dave and I were talking about coupons, Ethan came in and asked if we could have a special prayer. I wasn't sure what he was talking about, and he told us about his bean plant from school. He forgot to bring it home on Friday, and it didn't get watered over the weekend. It doesn't look very well. He wanted us to say a special prayer for his plant. He had come home and watered the plant, then he wanted to do the next best thing, and that was ask Heavenly Father to heal his plant. Ethan offered the prayer, and it was one of the sweetest prayers he has ever said. What a great teaching opportunity for all of us.
I thank my Heavenly Father for bringing peace into our hearts after a very rough few weeks. I felt like I wasn't such a failure after all if Ethan knows that his prayers are heard by a Father in Heaven that loves him.
I love you Ethan!!!!!
9 comments:
Janna, you are one of the best moms I know. You are caring, loving, and real with Ethan. He is going to be more prepared for the world (and for spiritual matters) than most kids I see. You should give yourself a pat on the back. Thank you for being such a great example to the rest of us.
Im so happy for you guys I love you and know Heavenly Father really loves you all too.
You make me cry. Amy really struggled to stay on green during Kindergarten. She lost many fun things because of it was really tuff on everyone. As Ethan gets older things at school behavior wise will get easer. Ethan is a good kid, all day is a long time to stay focused. Way to be good parents and get the message of prayer across.
You are such a good Momma. Quit forgetting that! I love you guys! See you soon!
I love this picture of Ethan, he looks so cute!
Now my kids must have been the only ones born perfect!! :) I kid I kid! Ethan is a good boy and we love him and it was so fun to have him here! Grace asks about him everyday, in fact while I was reading this entry she came over and saw his picture and said "I want my Ethan" If it makes you feel any better Grace will probably get kicked out of kindergarten for beating up the teacher or something!! :) Love you
That is so sweet. Thank goodness there are moments like that that refuel us and remind us what it is all about! p.s. mind if I add you to my link list so I remember to visit?I just like to ask.
I know how you feel about the one kid thing. It's like the Lord has entrusted you with just one and you really should be doing the best job you can and then when things don't go ans you feel like they should it seems to all come down on you. It's hard to get past those feelings and trust in the Lord but He is always there waiting for us to come to Him. We are not alone and He expects us to ask Him for help. He knows that we can not do this alone and He knows that we are going to need help. He is always waiting with open arms. I am so glad that you found Him during the time that was so critical!
Hi Stranger,
I don't know who's blog I clicked on, but stumbled upon yours. Crazy. It's good to see you are doing well. Your son is so handsome!
Amy O'Roarke-Rhodes
Post a Comment