Saturday, October 20, 2007

What a thought...

Well, today as I was searching cyberspace, I decided to see when Carrie Underwood's new album comes out. I found a video for her new single, So Small, if you haven't seen it yet, or heard the song, stop reading right now and go listen to it. (I know not everyone is a Carrie Underwood fan, however it is the lyrics to the song that have inspired this post.) You can go to her website... http://www.carrieunderwoodofficial.com/videos
or you can go to yahoo music videos to see it.

Anyway.... I have watched it several times today, and cried every time. Dave says I am just a cry baby, well perhaps its true, but the song just rang true to me.

At the beginning of the song it says that there are times when we want to shut the world and and just be left alone. Yea, that is me quite often these days. It seems that there is so much going on and I just can't deal with all the pressure of being a good wife, mom, friend, primary president, preschool teacher,etc. But it says... "Don't run out on your faith". I had never really thought of my locking myself in my room that way. I do have faith in a Loving Heavenly Father. I know that he knows me and is there for me. So why do I always forget that,by running away feeling as if I can't do anything right? I am not alone, and I can't do it without my Father in Heaven.
The chorus of the song says, "sometimes that mountain you've been climbing, is just a grain of sand". Wow, it really puts into perspective what I do to myself on a daily basis. I turn small issues that are not important into my priorities, to something that is huge and world ending. Its no wonder why I can't figure out how to solve all the problems. It wasn't a huge problem, "mountain" in the first place. A small example of this is my calling in Primary. I am the Primary President in a ward with over 150 children. I am always get parents complaining about the smallest things that I have no control over, or things that just don't matter. I feel that the way to be a good Primary President is to solve every problem, concern, and make sure that every child and parent are 100% happy. I make myself crazy trying to fix everything, and I feel like I am always failing. In reality what is really important is, are the children learning the Gospel of Jesus Christ? Do they know they are Children of God? That is where I need to stop climbing the "mountain of complaints" and just focus on the most important stuff.

What I find most amazing is that I have been praying that I will know what to do to fix so many of my "problems". I realized today that most of those things aren't really important and I have focused today on what does matter. The Lord answered my prayer in a very unexpected way, perhaps it was the only way I would listen to Him (oops). I am going to work on the Listening thing too:)
Ethan has been very much ignored lately as I have been busy doing my "important" work. Today I chose to spend it with my boy. We had so much fun shopping for a pumpkin, and then carving it tonight (sorry no pictures, the battery was dead). By placing one of my most important things first, I had a great day. I felt like a better mom, and I still have time to work tonight, since I am not so exhausted since I have not been fighting Ethan all day. What a blessing it is to know that I am not alone on this crazy journey we call life

1 comment:

Lani said...

I love you, Janna! I needed those reminders too! I definitely need to listen to that song. :-) Thanks again for the bday lunch! You rock!