Sunday, February 20, 2011

Preparing for Cincinnati

March is going to be a really big month for our family. The tenth will be a day that our we have been looking forward to for many years.
Dave and I will be celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary. Over the past few years we have been dreaming of the amazing vacation we would take for our 10th anniversary. I am so excited to prepare for this magical trip. Though it might not be the romantic 2nd honeymoon I was dreaming of, but it will be the "vacation" that will change our lives.

When Ethan was 1 day old, his colon ruptured, and needed emergency surgery. It was a miracle he survived the first few days of his life. He spent 10 days in the NICU then amazingly he was well enough to come home. Unfortunately, 2 weeks later he became very sick, and needed to be admitted into the hospital again. They discovered there was a blockage in his small intestine, and needed to have a second surgery.


At four months old he was diagnosed with Hirschsprungs Disease, this is where his colon doesn't have the nerve cells to relax. Without the ability to constrict and relax nothing could pass through. This is why his colon ruptured as a newborn. He had a colostomy for six months so he could grow, and get stronger, until he could go through a "pull-through" surgery. We were told that he should be able to function properly, and not have any long lasting complications.

Ethan is now nearly 9 years old, just by looking at him he looks strong and healthy. However he has very little, if any control over his bowels. We have seen many doctors and "specialists" that have had no answers for us. This is mostly because Hirschsprungs is very rare. Most children have it for many years before it is properly diagnosed. Our surgeon when Ethan was a baby told us that his case was the most severe he had ever seen. We have been left frustrated, and completely lost as to what we should do to help our child.

About 3 years ago we heard about Cincinnati Children's Hospital. They are the only ones in the country that specialize in pediatric bowel problems. We know of 3 different children that have been able to go to Cincinnati and have their problems fixed. We wanted desperately to take Ethan. However financially we knew that it was not an option for us to go. In 2009 we were blessed with a donation that would make it possible for us to go to cincinnati. After speaking with our insurance, we were informed that we needed to be on a PPO not an HMO plan. So we had to wait for 7 months until open enrollment to change.

In August we thought we were ready to go.... we got all of the records sent to Cincinnati and figured we would be able to go by the holidays. Well, we have had to learn patience as week after week went by without hearing anything. Finally at the end of December we got word that we would be able to be seen in either February or March.

March 10th is our magical day, that not only do we celebrate 10 years of marriage, but the day we leave for Ohio. I have decided that I wanted to document our trip, I am not only doing this for Ethan to be able to look back and remember, but so that all of the family and friends who have supported us emotionally as well as financially will be able to be a part of this process.

I am so thankful to finally be seeing a light at the end of a very long tunnel. It wouldn't be possible without without all those who love and support us. I am so thankful for the opportunity I have had to raise Ethan these last nine years. He is a blessing in our lives I want to give him every possibly to be successful and happy. I am so thankful that Dave and I don't have to do everything on our own as we have felt the love, prayers, and thoughts from so many people. As we begin this journey, I am hopeful and confident that we will find some answers we have not found before. This truly is a great moment for our family.

7 comments:

Steph said...

We love you and I'm so excited for you guys!! There will be a special present in the mail for Ethan before you go!

Lani said...

What a wonderful blessing for you guys! Love you!

Meet Kristy said...

Yea!! I am sooooo happy for you guys. Keep us informed. :)

Cindy Stark said...

OH MY GOODNESS THAT IS SUCH AMAZING NEWS!!!!

The Bundy Family said...

Well that is so awesome! I subbed for Ethan's class a few weeks ago and he told me a little bit about how he had fasted and prayed for this special Cincinnati trip. That is great news. I am so happy for your family. I wish and hope that it all you have dreamed for in the last 10 years. So exciting!

Misty Holt said...

I am soo excited for you and your family!!!! I know this has been a long journey for you. Tell Ethan that we are thinking of him and I have his Hershey bar when he gets back. Best wishes!

Jenni said...

Hi Jana, I am your distant cousin from the Larson side of the family. My Aunt Jackie e-mailed me about the family fast on March 6th and we will be fasting for Ethan's full recovery also. Good luck with everything.